Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Filling and Frosting PB&J Cupcakes - Now with a surprising twist!

I will continue telling you about my PB&J cupcakes, because they are delicious and because I liked my pictures of them.

When filling cupcakes, I like to use a small paring knife and make an X in the center of the cupcake. It makes it easier for the tip and filling to go into the cupcake. (I don't know why I didn't take a picture of filling the cupcake... that was dumb.) Anyway, whatever I want to put into the cupcake, I put into a disposable decorating/pastry bag. In this case it was strawberry jelly. So I filled my bag with jelly and placed the tip down inside the X on my cupcake. Gently squeeze the bag until about 1 tablespoon of filling goes into the cupcake. Keep some jelly in the bag for the final decorating touches!
Set the cupcakes aside and now make the frosting. You will need cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, heavy cream, peanut butter, salt and vanilla.
Beat 6 ounces of cream cheese, 1/2 cup of cream, 1/3 cup of confectioner's sugar together until stiff peaks form. It should look and taste like whipped cream.
Add in 1 cup of peanut butter, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat all together until light and fluffy.
Using another decorating bag, (if you don't have decorating bags, you can use a spatula and frost as usual) pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. Leave a spot in the center of the cupcake for more jelly. And there you have it, a peanut butter and jelly cupcake!
Surprise twist!!! Surprise twist!!! For those of you who loved a PB&J sandwich as a kid, peanut butter and jelly is fine. But for those of you who like surprise twists, and enjoyed Fluffernutters almost as much as a PB&J, I made half of these cupcakes into PB&F cupcakes. Oh yes, I did.

If you would like to have peanut butter and fluff cupcakes, the only part that will be different is the center filling. To make a marshmallow cream (creme?) filling, you will need Fluff, confectioner's sugar, shortening, vanilla and salt. And very hot water. (The first part involves the salt and water. I used a white dish, so it was hard to see and even harder to photograph, so you just have to take my word for it.)

The first thing that you will need to do is dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of salt into 2 teaspoons of water. Set that mixture aside.
Whip together 7 ounces of Fluff, 1/2 cup shortening, 1/3 cup of confectioner's sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Mix together until it starts to get fluffy. Then add the saltwater and continue to mix.
Spoon marshmallow filling mixture into a decorating bag, and squeeze filling into cupcakes.
Frost as for PB&J cupcakes, but in the center, add another dollop of marshmallow.
And there you have it. This is what I've been doing for the last 2 days! I'd like to sit down and relax, but unfortunately, I have a kitchen to clean and about a million dishes to do. (The major downside of baking, in my estimation...)

But now that the rain has stopped and the sun has come out, I may not do dishes for a while. Maybe I'll go sit on the porch and relax first.

How do you keep yourself busy when it's raining?

1 comment:

  1. OMG, those look so delish. Can I hire you to come to my house and make some? LOL!

    ReplyDelete