Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dealing With Grief, part 2

For those of you who missed Dealing with Grief, part 1, here it is.

For those of you who don't want to go back and read it, (I understand... it's long) here are the Cliffs Notes version

- My mom died of cancer in 2005.
- For a long time, I felt like I had dealt with her death, but truly, I wasn't (probably still am not) entirely sure what it means to have dealt with someone's death.
- I still miss her terribly, and cry at every sappy TV/movie mother-daughter moment.

Dealing with Grief, part 2

Has anyone watched The Big C on Showtime? I have. I love it. I laughed my butt off and didn't cry once. It's all about a woman who has been diagnosed with skin cancer, and she completely changes her current life in order to fulfill what she thinks the rest of her life should be. That idea of "live like you're dying" becomes her attitude as she faces her own mortality. It's really quite a funny show.

I don't know what it means that I can watch a show about a woman confronted with cancer and how she begins to plan the rest of her life with the end in mind. I watched 2 episodes of Big C last night and I didn't shed a single tear. Oh no, this show is hilarious. The concept is sad, but the material is funny. I'm fairly certain that my mom would have enjoyed this show.

Speaking of which, I've always heard people who have lost someone say things like, "Oh, she would have loved such and such...." I really haven't done that much for my mom. There are a few things that I would say "Mom would really have loved..." I think The Big C is one of them. Wii is another. I can't even believe my mom has been gone longer than we've had our Wii. My mom would freaking love to play Wii. I bet she'd be a champ at the balance board games.

Wii, of course, is a separate topic altogether. I started this entry to say 2 things - I love The Big C, and I'm counting it as some kind of a "dealing with grief" victory that I wasn't choked up watching it.

Also, Big C was filmed in Connecticut and I recognized one of the places in the show last night! I saw one of the stores and said, "Oh, I know just where they are!" That's always a fun feeling.

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by from ICLW. Grief is such a strange thing. It tends to hit me when I least expect it and sometimes when I most expect it. DH and I are in the process of adopting, but the grief of not having a biological child is still present.

    Best wishes getting things figured out with your agency. I think not knowing how long the wait will be is one of the hardest parts of the adoption process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Here via ICLW. Praying that you get to bring your baby home soon.

    tina
    #172

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is DEFINITELY a dealing with grief victory. I can only imagine how hard it must be to not have your mom here.

    Good luck with the adoption process. I hope the road is relatively short for you.

    #28 ICLW

    ReplyDelete